This slice is inspired by a popular coconut filled Australian chocolate bar. Since we’ve already made Bounty bars in the Vibe Blender System, it’s now time to reinvent the Cherry Ripe, with only natural ingredients of course. Even without the sugar, we promise our version is still irresistible!
Our healthy Cherry ripe slice is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, making it also vegan and paleo. It has a no-bake, nutty, chocolate biscuit base, a sweet coconut and fruit filling and luscious dark chocolate top. Fresh cherries don’t produce a satisfying confectionary red colour on their own, so to enliven the filling (without using any artificial colouring) we added freeze dried raspberries.
For the chocolate you can use a store-bought dark chocolate or make your own refined sugar and dairy free version from scratch. We’ve included instructions for both in the recipe below.
½ cup almonds
½ cup macadamia nuts
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup cacao powder
1 heaped tablespoon (30 grams) of coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
Pinch of salt
1 cup fresh cherries pitted
1/3 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries (not sour cherries)
1/3 cup (20 grams) of freeze dried raspberries
3 tablespoons (60 grams) of coconut oil
1/4 cup of coconut sugar
2 cups desiccated coconut
120 grams dark chocolate, melted
½ cup of cacao butter
½ cup of cacao powder
¼ cup of maple syrup or honey
1. Line a square 20cm tin with baking paper over-hanging the sides for easy removal.
2. Blend the almonds and macadamia nuts on ‘nut’ mode for 30 seconds or until they are reduced to a crumb.
3. Turn the nuts out into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the remaining base ingredients and stir well to combine.
5. Spread into the prepared tin. The mixture is sticky. Use the back of a spoon or wet your fingertips to avoid the mixture sticking to your fingers.
6. Place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
7. (There is no need to wash the blender jug). Add the pitted cherries, cranberries, freeze dried raspberries, coconut oil and coconut sugar into the blender jug. Secure the lid on and blend on ‘smoothie’ mode until pureed.
8. Add the desiccated coconut. ‘Pulse’ several times to incorporate. If the blades struggle to blend all of the coconut, remove the jug from the base and stir the coconut into the mixture with a spatula by hand. Make sure the coconut is incorporated.
9. Spread the cherry mixture onto the base layer, then place into the fridge or freezer to set.
10. Melt the dark chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
For homemade chocolate: melt cacao butter in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat, then whisk in the cacao powder and sweetener. Set aside to cool and thicken up. Stir well just before using.
11. Pour the melted chocolate onto the filling and spread to the edges.
12. Leave to set
13. Lift out of the tin and slice into squares.
14. Store homemade cherry ripe slice in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for longer.
15. Always served chilled. In warm weather the raw ingredients will become soft.
If you make this, or any of our recipes, we would love to see your creations.
Leave us a comment, or tag a photo using #luvelelife on Instagram.