Veggie lovers can rejoice because we have a homemade veggie burger recipe that tastes amazing! You can say goodbye to bland store-bought veggie patties that are filled with processed ingredients forever. These vegetable patties are easy to make, and are made with only good-for-you ingredients. They're packed with plant-based protein, fibre and healthy fat so are sure to satisfy vegan and meat-eaters alike.
Cauliflower is a nutrient-dense and versatile vegetable that can be used as a grain or meat substitute in paleo and vegan recipes. Cauliflower rice, which is simply raw cauliflower that has been grated, is the foundation of these patties. If you are new to ricing cauliflower, we highly recommend our blender jug method which takes just a few seconds. It’s so easy! You can watch how to do it here.
The magical combination of cauliflower rice and chopped walnuts gives these burger patties a great meaty texture. Even if you are not a big fan of cauliflower, the combination of aromatics disguises the vegetable and gives a delicious smoky flavour that is just yum. We doubt anyone will pick what they are made off!
Cauliflower & walnut veggie burgers are great in between buns with all the usual burger fixings, served with salads, or enjoyed as finger food or lunch box snack.
Makes: 6-8 patties
3 cups cauliflower rice*
1 cup walnuts
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon stock powder, mushroom powder or nutritional yeast (or a combination)
½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
½ teaspoon salt
1 heaped tablespoon of tapioca flour
2 teaspoons olive oil (+ extra for greasing the tray)
Grind of freshly cracked pepper or pinch of chilli powder
* half a small cauliflower will produce approx. 3 cups of cauliflower rice. Follow the method in this post for how to make it.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F
2. Lightly grease an oven tray with olive oil.
3. Add the walnuts into a dry Vibe Blender jug. Use the ‘pulse’ mode to reduce the nuts to a rough crumb. Do not over blend or make nut meal.
4. Tip the chopped walnut into a large bowl.
5. Rice the cauliflower. Drain or squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the cauliflower rice before adding it to the bowl.
6. Add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix together with a spatula.
7. Shape into patties and place on the prepared tray.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes
If you make them, be sure to leave us a comment, or tag a photo using #luvelelife on Instagram