Once a year, this classic drink makes an appearance and you wonder why you only drink it once a year. For this eggnog recipe, we’re going to skip the alcohol and make it perfect for the whole family without losing out on all of those traditional, warm flavours.
Eggnog recipes don’t get much simpler or quicker than this one using the Vibe Blender which has the capacity to handle the hot milk in this recipe and create a beautifully smooth and aerated outcome. We’ve swapped out the white sugar that you might normally use for some coconut sugar which gives this drink the most wonderful caramel notes to compliment the delicate mix of nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.
Serve this one hot or cold and share it around with your loved ones this Christmas! Of course, if you want to spike some for the adults, add about 100ml of bourbon, spiced rum or brandy to the recipe below.
Yield 3- 4
2 cups (500ml) milk
¾ cup (190ml) thick cream
1 cinnamon stick
¼ teaspoon nutmeg plus extra to garnish
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
½ cup coconut sugar
Zest of 1 orange to garnish
1. Add the milk, cream and spices to a saucepan and slowly bring to a boil.
2. Once it comes to the boil take it off the heat and pour it into a jug with a spout.
3. Remove the cinnamon stick and place the eggs and sugar into the blender jug.
4. Blend on ‘smoothie’ mode at medium speed for about 60 seconds until it’s pale and fluffy.
5. Remove the cap from the blender jug lid and insert a funnel to ensure you don’t spill milk everywhere.
6. Switch the blender to ‘soup’ mode and blend on low speed while you carefully pour the hot milk into the blender jug. This should take around 30-45 seconds.
5. Serve warm straight away and garnish with a bit of grated nutmeg and orange rind. If the mix settles, blend again for around 5 seconds.
6. To serve it cold, place the mix in the fridge to chill overnight. Once it’s ready to serve, place it back in the blender jug and blend on ‘smoothie’ mode for around 5 seconds. Pour it over some ice cubes and garnish with nutmeg or cinnamon.