Liquid error (layout/theme line 525): Could not find asset snippets/simple-preorder-bootstrap.liquid
We’ve taken the common Greek salad to the next level by adding meatballs! If you’re a big fan of Mediterranean food, you’ll absolutely love this easy, party-perfect, all-in-one, healthy meal on a platter. It’s gluten-free and paleo and is a spectacular, share-plate dish to take to your next outdoor gathering or just to make as a healthy family meal. Where ever you choose to serve it, it’s a delicious summer meal that will have everyone clamouring for a second zesty helping.
The meatballs are made from scratch (see our range of mincers here) using freshly ground lamb and a delicious combination of flavourful Mediterranean inspired herbs, spices, lemon zest and garlic.
Fresh, crisp and flavourful, the salad is packed full of Greek mezze plate favourites, such as marinated olives, cucumber, roasted capsicum, red onion and juicy, in-season cherry tomatoes. The cooling mint yogurt dressing marries the warm lamb meatballs with the salad ingredients so that it’s refreshing and filling. It’s healthy and ultra-simple!
700 grams of freshly ground lamb mince
3 garlic cloves crushed
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
½ teaspoon of dried oregano
¼ cup of almond flour or gluten free bread crumbs
Zest of one lemon
½ teaspoon of salt
Generous grind of freshly cracked pepper
1 cup of homemade yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup of fresh mint leaves finely chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large red capsicum
2 teaspoons of olive oil
Pinch of salt
2 small cos lettuce, leaves separated and cut in half
2 small cucumbers – sliced
Handful of fresh mint leaves
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes – halved to taste
150 grams of marinated mixed olives
½ red onion - finely sliced
Cracked pepper to taste
Preparation: Grind chilled diced lamb in a Luvele meat grinder with a medium blade in the head.
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C
2. Combine all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix, squeezing with your hands, to allow the aromatics to incorporate evenly through the mince.
3. Cover the bowl and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes – longer is fine.
4. While the meat is resting, slice the capsicum into strips.
5. Place the capsicum in a dish, toss with olive oil and a pinch of salt and then set aside until the meatballs are ready to cook.
6. Line a large tray with baking paper.
7. Roll the ground meat mixture into walnut-sized balls and place on the tray.
8. Bake both the capsicum and the meatballs in the oven for 15 minutes.
9. While the meatballs and capsicum are cooking, make the yogurt sauce and prepare the salad.
10. Combine all the yogurt dressing ingredients in a bowl, stir well then place in the fridge until ready to serve.
11. To construct the salad, scatter each of the salad ingredients on a large platter in the order listed.
12. Lay the warm meatballs on top of the salad and then drizzle with yogurt dressing. Reserve a portion of the dressing to serve at the table.
13. Enjoy immediately.