Warm and gooey right out of the oven, this easy, sugar-free, baked, peach dessert is the perfect end to just about any meal. Topped with a big dollop of creamy homemade yogurt we can't imagine a better, crowd-pleasing, gut-loving summer dessert.
To get the most flavour out of peaches, we bake them. Baking brings out their natural sweetness, takes the tart edge off, and makes them soft and juicy while holding their shape in the tray. It’s great to know that even slightly hard or unsweet peaches taste more delicious baked.
This recipe is super-easy and looks great on the table. It's ready in well under an hour, so it's perfect for a no-stress, dinner party dessert.
You can easily create a dairy-free or vegan version by simply using coconut oil in place of butter and topping with plant-based yogurt. You can find all of our yogurt recipes in one place here. We used homemade 24-hour yogurt dripped for an hour to make it extra thick and creamy. See our Greek yogurt method for more details. For an extra special treat, top your baked peaches with cultured cream or quark!
1 cup water
25 grams of butter (or coconut oil)
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ - 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
Homemade yoghurt (dairy or plant-based)
1/3 cup flaked almonds - toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C / 320°F
2. Wash and dry the peaches, cut them in half and remove the pits.
3. Choose a dish that's sized to fit the peaches comfortably side by side, with not too much excess room around them.
4. Add the water, butter, honey, cinnamon, ginger and star anise to the pan.
5. Lay the peaches flat-side down on the mix and bake for 15 minutes
6. Turn the peaches. Fill each peach with juice from the pan
7. Bake for a further 15 minutes or until the peaches are soft but still holding their shape.
8. Remove from the oven
9. Baste with caramelised pan juice, dollop with homemade yogurt and sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds.
10. Serve warm.