Calling all chocolate lovers! We’ve got super quick, totally foolproof, double chocolate blender muffins that are in a league of their own. They’re rich and moist and studded with chocolate chips inside and out for the ultimate chocolate experience. Once you make these, you will never look at another chocolate muffin recipe again!
Most muffin recipes warn about the perils of over mixing muffin batter. But don’t worry about that with this recipe. Just throw all the ingredients in the Vibe blender jug, give a short, sweet burst of power and your batter is done. Have no fear, this blender batter will rise! We’ve used a whole bunch of simple baking tricks to get, domed, ultra-moist and tender café style muffins. Bonus, the method comes with an even easier clean up.
1. First up we used brown sugar to get a rich caramel flavour that compliments chocolate. For a healthy sugar you can sub for a less refined sugar such as rapadura or use coconut sugar instead.
2. To attain moist muffins, we use oil instead of butter. We aren’t too fond of using vegetable oil, (butter just tastes so much better) but in muffins oil really contributes moistness far more reliably.
3. We use yogurt and milk. Yogurt adds lots of moisture without making the batter too thin. In addition, the acid in yogurt tenderises gluten, helping to make them light and fluffy. You can also substitute yogurt for cultured cream or sour cream. The extra fat will make these muffins even more decadent, moist, and rich.
4. To enhance the chocolate flavour, we added a little bit of instant coffee (you won’t even taste it).
5. For bonus rise we use both bicarb soda and baking powder.
6. Finally, for the ultimate chocolate muffin experience, make sure to use good quality chocolate. The melty ones give the best experience.
Makes: 15 muffins
1 cup (250ml) milk
¾ cup thick yogurt (sub for cultured cream or sour cream)
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
½ cup cocoa powder (50g)
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
2 teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups plain/all-purpose flour (or sub with GF flour)
1 cup dark brown sugar, rapadura sugar or coconut sugar
1½ cups dark chocolate chopped or chips that melt
1. Preheat your oven to 210°C/410°F. and line muffin trays with 15 paper liners.
2. Place all the ingredients into the Vibe Blender jug in the order listed. (Except the chocolate chips)
3. Secure the lid on. Choose ‘smoothie’ mode and blend for 15-20 second, no more.
4. Open the lid. There may be unblended flour around the inside of the jug. Don’t worry. Add half of the chocolate chips to the jug and fold them into the batter with a spatula, combining the remaining dry ingredients as you mix. The batter will be thinner than typical muffin batter.
5. Pour the batter into the liners, up to 0.5cm from rim of the paper liner.
6. Top with the remaining chocolate chips.
7. To achieve a crisp top and café-style muffin shape we start by baking in a high oven, then reduce the temperature. Bake for 5 minutes in preheated oven. Then turn the oven down to 170°C/340°F and bake for a further 15 minutes.
8. Once cooked, let the muffins sit in their pan for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack.
9. The muffins will be fresh for 3 days. But to extend the life of ultimate double chocolate blender muffins, store them in Fresh vacuum containers.
10. For an easy clean up, pour approx. 2 cups of boiling water and a tiny drop of liquid detergent into the Vibe blender jug, (stainless steel jug only). Secure the lid on, choose ‘soup’ mode and blend for 20 seconds.